Prof.Dr. HAN-YONG BAE
Department of Chemistry, SKKU
2066, Seobu-ro, Jangan-gu, Suwon-si
Republic of Korea 16419
Tel: +82 31 290 7062
HAN-YONG BAE was born in Daegu, Republic of Korea. He received his B.Sc. (2010), M.Sc. (2012) and Ph.D. (2015) degrees from
SUNGKYUNKWAN UNIVERSITY (SKKU, Korea), conducting studies
on Brønsted base catalyzed asymmetric catalysis under the supervision of Professor Choong Eui Song. During his graduate studies, Han-Yong developed polyketide biosynthesis mimic asymmetric organocatalysis and discovered hydrophobic amplification effect in water promoted asymmetric catalysis.
After completion of his graduate studies, he moved to Germany and pursued postdoctoral research with Professor Benjamin List (Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2021) at MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT FÜR KOHLENFORSCHUNG. He developed new highly active chiral catalysts for extremely challenging Lewis acid-catalyzed asymmetric reactions (parts-per-billion-level organocatalysis).
In 2019, Han-Yong was appointed as an Assistant Professor at Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST, Korea), then came back to
SKKU as an Assistant Professor.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & EMPLOYMENT
Assistant Professor (tenure track)
2019 – present
Assistant Professor (tenure track)
2019 – 2019
Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Germany
Scientist/ Postdoctoral researcher (with Professor Benjamin List)
2015 – 2019
Discharged as Sergeant, The 50th Infantry Division
2005 – 2007
Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, 2015
• Advisor: Professor Choong Eui Song
• Thesis title: Bio-inspired Hydrogen Bonding Promoted Asymmetric Organocatalysis [Download full-thesis]
B. Sc. Chemistry, 2010/ M.Sc. Chemistry, 2012
• Advisor: Professor Choong Eui Song
• Thesis title: Biomimetic Enantioselective Organocatalysis
SELECTED AWARDS, HONORS & SCHOLARSHIPS
• Outstanding Scientific Achievement, Max-Planck-Institut, Germany, Dec 2017
• Stipendium 350, Max-Planck-Institut, Germany, Sep 2015 – Apr 2016
• Chemical Science Presentation Award, Royal Chemical Society, UK, Dec 2014
• Academic Excellence Scholarship, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea, 2012 – 2013
• Best Presentation Award, Organic Chemistry Division of KCS, Aug 2013
• Brain Korea 21 Scholarship, Ministry of Education, Korea, Mar 2010 – Feb 2012
• Best Presentation Award, Korean Chemical Society (KCS), Oct 2012
• Best Publication Award, Ewha Womans University, Korea, Feb 2012
• Best Presentation Award, Brain Korea 21 Symposium, Korea, Feb 2012
• Academic Excellence Scholarship, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea, 2004 and 2009
"Approaching sub-ppm level asymmetric organocatalysis of a highly challenging and scalable carbon–carbon bond forming reaction"
H. Y. Bae, D. Höfler, P. S. J. Kaib, P. Kasaplar, C. K. De, A. Döhring, S. Lee, K. Kaupmees, I. Leito, B. List
Nature Chemistry 2018, 10, 888.
"Direct catalytic asymmetric Mannich reaction with dithiomalonate as an excellent donor: the first organocatalytic synthesis of (R)-Sitagliptin"
H. Y. Bae, M. J. Kim, J. H. Sim, C. E. Song
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 10825.
[Patent issued: 20 Jun. 2018 (the process of primary alkyl mannich reaction)]
[Patent issued: 20 Mar. 2019 (the process of total synthesis toward antidiabetic drug Sitagliptin and its intermediate)]
"Organocatalytic enantioselective decarboxylative aldol reaction of malonic acid half thioesters to aldehydes"
H. Y. Bae, J. H. Sim, J. W. Lee, B. List, C. E. Song
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 12143.
[Patent issued: 19 Nov. 2014 (the first organocatalytic decarboxylative aldol reaction of MAHTs)]
"Unprecedented hydrophobic amplification in noncovalent organocatalysis "on water": Hydrophobic chiral squaramide catalyzed Michael addition of malonates to nitroalkenes"
H. Y. Bae, C. E. Song
ACS Catal. 2015, 5, 3613.
[Patent issued: 25 Aug. 2015 (the process of total synthesis toward anticonvulsant drug Pregabalin)]
[Patent issued: 25 Aug. 2015 (the process of total synthesis toward selective phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitor Rolipram)]
"Triflimide: An overlooked high-performance catalyst of the Mukaiyama aldol reaction of silyl ketene acetals with ketones"
H. Y. Bae, S. Lee, B. List
Chem.-Eur. J. 2018, 24, 13767.
"Can a ketone be more reactive than an aldehyde? Catalytic asymmetric synthesis of substituted tetrahydrofuran"
S. Lee, H. Y. Bae, B. List
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57,12162.
"Asymmetric counteranion-directed Lewis acid organocatalytsis for scalable cyanosilylation of aldehydes"
Z. Zhang, H. Y. Bae, J. Guin, C. Rabalakos, M. v.Gemmeren, M. Leutzsch, M. Klussmann, B. List
Nature Communications 2016, 12478.
"Hydrophobic chirality ampliﬁcation in conﬁned water cages"
C. E. Song, S. J. Park, I.-S. Hwang, M. J. Jung, S. Y. Shim, H. Y. Bae, J. Y. Jung
Nature Communications 2019, 10, 851.
"The silicon–hydrogen exchange reaction: A catalytic σ-bond metathesis approach to the enantioselective synthesis of enol silanes"
H. Zhou, H. Y. Bae, M. Leutzsch, J. L. Kennemur, D. Becart, B. List
"The Odorous Principle of Vetiver Oil, Unveiled by Chemical Synthesis"
J. Ouyang, H. Y. Bae, S. Jordi, Q. M. Dao, S. Dossenbach, S. Dehn, J. B. Lingnau, C. K. De, P. Kraft, B. List
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, DOI=10.1002/anie.202014609
SELECTED INVITED SCIENTIFIC TALKS
• The 11th Singapore International Chemistry Conference (SICC-11), Singapore, Dec 2022
• KCS Organic Chemistry Division, Sokcho, Aug 2022
• Korea Institute of Human Resources Development in Science and Technology, Ochang/ Korea, Apr 2022
• Dornbirn GFC-ASIA, Daegu/ Korea, Mar 2022
• Yuhan Corporation, Suwon/ Korea, Jan 2022
• 2nd IMS-SKKU-UJN Symposium on Chemical Catalysis, Kangwon University, Suwon/ Korea, Oct 2021
• AINS Symposium-2021, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon/ Korea, Jan 2021
• Dept. of Chemistry, UNIST, Ulsan/ Korea, Jul 2020
• Dept. of Chemistry, Inha University, Incheon/ Korea, Apr 2020
• AINS Symposium-2020, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon/ Korea, Jan 2020
• School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon/ Korea, Nov 2019
• Dept. of Chemistry, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon/ Korea, Sep 2019
• Organic Chemistry Division of KCS, POSTECH, Pohang/ Korea, Jun 2019
• Dept. of Chemistry, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon/ Korea, May 2019
• Dept. of Chemistry, UNIST, Ulsan/ Korea, May 2019
• Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Mülheim an der Ruhr/ Germany, Jan 2019
• Dept. of Applied Chemistry, Kyungpook National Univ. Daegu/ Korea, Dec 2018
• Dept. of Chemistry, UNIST, Ulsan/ Korea, Nov 2018
• Dept. of Chemistry, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon/ Korea, Oct 2018
• Dept. of Chemistry, Korea University, Seoul/ Korea, Oct 2018
• Dept. of Chemistry, Kyunghee University, Suwon/ Korea, Jun 2017
• Joint Korean-German Conferences, Dresden/ Germany, Nov 2016
• Verein Koreanischer Naturwissenschaftlicher und Ingenieure in der BRD e.V. (VeKNI), Essen/ Germany, Oct 2016
• Hanmi Fine Chemical, Gyeonggi/ Korea, Sep 2016
• Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Daejeon/ Korea, Sep 2016
• Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Mülheim an der Ruhr/ Germany, May 2016
• Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Mülheim an der Ruhr/ Germany, Nov 2015
• SKKU-UTD Symposium on Advanced Functional Polymers, Suwon/ Korea, May 2015
• The 114th Meeting of the Korean Chemical Society, Kwangju/ Korea, Oct 2014
• 248th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco/ CA, Aug 2014
• BK21 Plus Symposium on Chemical Materials Science, Kangwon/ Korea, Feb 2014
• The 1st Japan‐Korea Joint Symposium and Autumn Seminar on Advanced Chemistry, Okayama/ Japan, Nov 2013
• The 10th International Symposium on Carbanion Chemistry, Kyoto/ Japan, Sep 2013
• Dept. of Chemistry, Kyoto University, Host: Prof. Keiji Maruoka, Kyoto/ Japan, Sep 2013
• Shanghai Jiao-tong University, Host: Prof. Yong Jian Zhang, Shanghai/ China, Oct 2011